Monday, August 10, 2015

8/10/15 - Recipe Swap #MTBoSblaugust

Okay, so this is one of the prompt that I never thought I would use. I have minimal cooking ability but I can follow a recipe. After looking at the #MTBoSblaugust prompt today and lingering on this prompt a number of times, I realized I can make soup!!

Soups are go-to meals in our house during the school year because they basically cook themselves. I love making soup because they are a great way to get in a lot of veggies and you can easily make large amounts for leftovers.

So, here are three of my favorite soup recipes, my favorite chili recipe and one new soup recipe I have yet to try, but looks very promising.

Rachel Ray's Hearty Chicken-Vegetable Soup
I adore this recipe. Once you've made it once, you'll never need the recipe again. I follow it very loosely, throwing in what ever veggies are in season at the time. The only seasoning embellishment I think is a must is adding a pinch of herbs d' province. The lavender really brings out the freshness of the vegetables.


Potato soup is possibly my favorite soup of all time. Besides the thick and creamy "broth", the tender chunks of potatoes and the bacon garnish, I adore the versatility of this soup. This recipe serves as the base of my potato leek soup, my clam chowder and my chicken corn chowder.


Fideo Soup - allrecipes.com
I'm going to start with a disclaimer. This is not the recipe I use, but its close. The recipe I use was given to me by a family member and my only copy exists on a soup stained, wrinkled, faded notecard. This is our families "chicken soup". I serve it with fresh avocado slices and quesadillas.




Joy of Cooking Chili Con Carne - Joy of Cooking (paperback)
I'm gonna say it...chili is the bomb!! What's not to like?? Its meat and beans and spices and you serve it with the most yummy of breads!!

The recipe is excellent as is, but is easily adaptable.  It's how I first started making chili thus it is near and dear to me. That being said, I modify it like crazy.  Over the last 15 years, I have tested additions including corn nibblers, celery, cilantro and siracha. 




Chicken Avocado Lime Soup - Cookingclassy.com
This is my new recipe. Janet it stumbled across it two days ago. I am really excited to try it.  Its so simple, yet elegant. The ingredients make me think of San Diego.



1 comment:

  1. I love soup! Especially the easy crockpot kind. :) Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete